May 09, 2011

Lemon Mint Cake with Almonds (from Sunshine & Smile)


Awhile back, I saw a recipe on a blog I rather like, Sunshine & Smile.   The recipe for Lemon Mint Cake with Almonds can be found here.  The basic idea - a cake made with ground almonds mixed in with the flour and sugar, topped with crushed almonds and flavored with mint, lemon juice and lemon zest, sounded pretty good, and the pictures looked fantastic.  More recently, I finally got around to trying out the recipe.  The results, while not bad, were somewhat disappointing. 


The cake was nice and moist, and the almond taste was both pronounced and pleasant, but the lemon flavor wasn't as strong as I'd have preferred.  It did go nicely with the mint, though.  Also, my cake appeared rather overcooked as compared to the blog pics that accompanied the recipe, even though I ended up cooking it for a few minutes less than the recommended time, which causes me to wonder if the time stated in the recipe instructions wasn't a bit off.



AsI said above, this wasn't bad.  In fact, it was okay.  It didn't knock my socks off, though.  In terms of flavor and texture it was completely average, nothing noteworthy.  As such, I don't think I'll probably be revisiting this recipe any time soon.  Your tastes may differ, though, so if the basic idea as described above sounds good to you, check out the recipe and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment