December 17, 2010

Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Lemon


When I decided to make some Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza (more about that in another post!), I knew I'd need a vegetable side dish to go with the pizza.  Looking in the fridge, I noted a fresh bunch of kale.  After a few moments thought and a quick check to make sure I had all the staple grocery items I needed, I had a new recipe to try.


Juli wasn't too fond of the last kale dish I made, but we both loved this one.  Unlike spinach and some other greens, kale retains a bit of crispness when sauteed.  The combination of pleasant texture, bold garlic and lemon flavors and a touch of nuttiness from the cheese makes for a side dish that holds its own, and that makes this recipe a definite keeper.

Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Lemon

yield = 2 servings

1        tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3        teaspoons minced garlic
1/4     teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1        bunch kale, ribs removed, chopped
1        tablespoon lemon zest
1/4     cup chicken broth
1        tablespoon lemon juice
1/4     teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1/4     teaspoon sea salt
1        tablespoon grated Parmegiano-Reggiano cheese

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.   When oil is shimmering, add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds.  Add kale, lemon zest and chicken broth and cook, tossing Kale with tongs, until the kale is slightly wilted.  Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice, pepper, sea salt and grated Parmegiano-Reggiano.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment