December 21, 2010

Red Potatoes with Rosemary Butter


This is the second of the three new recipes I designed recently.  In fact, this one was not so much designed and improvised.   I knew I wanted to have potatoes with a light, creamy texture without putting in much work, and I also knew I wanted some butter, garlic and rosemary flavors to go along with the other two dishes.  Boiled potatoes and a quick, simple sauce seemed the best bet for getting what I wanted without a lot of effort, and since I was going with some richer flavors in the other two dishes, I decided that instead of a sauce per se, I'd just toss the potatoes with some seasoned butter.

Since I wanted something of a soft, creamy texture, but to still have the potatoes hold together pretty well, I chose Red Bliss potatoes for this recipe.  They're less starchy than my default favorite potatoes, Yukon Gold, and much less so than russet or Idaho potatoes, so I knew a short boiling period would result in pieces of potato that were tender and creamy, but not mushy.  If you want an even creamier version, go with Yukon Gold. 

The resulting potatoes are creamy and flavorful, with a pleasant mix of flavors, none of them overwhelming.   Juli liked this the best of all three dishes. 



Red Potatoes with Rosemary Butter

yield = 4 servings
2 1/2      pounds small red bliss potatoes, quartered
3            tablespoons unsalted butter
1            teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1            teaspoon minced garlic
              salt and pepper to taste

Place the cut potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low boil for 20 minutes. 

Meanwhile, add butter, rosemary and garlic to a small bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about 60 seconds or until the butter is melted and steaming.   Stir, cover again with plastic wrap and set aside.

Check the potatoes with a fork; when the tines penetrate without effort, the potatoes are done.   Drain the potatoes in a colander, then transfer them to a serving bowl.  Toss with the melted butter mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment