September 26, 2010

Breakfast Leftovers

Yesterday I made multigrain pancakes for breakfast.  I followed the recipe as written, and as a result ended up with enough pancakes for 5 people - way more than Juli and I could finish for one breakfast. 

Yesterday's Pancakes
I wasn't about to let them go to waste, though.  They had a firm enough texture that I was pretty sure they'd warm up well, so I stacked them in a bowl, covered them with foil and stowed them in the kitchen for this morning.

To warm them up, I sprayed the pan with a good layer of cooking spray and heated it on medium-high for a few minutes before adding the pancakes.  As soon as they hit the oil and started sizzling, I knew I'd been right about them warming up well.


I fried them on each side for about 3 minutes, enough for them to get dark without burning.   Then I added some syrup and tried them out. 


They were excellent.  Frying them on such high heat made them crispy on the outside while still moist and soft on the inside.  The flavor of the little bits of dried fruit from the granola I'd ground and mixed into the flour seemed more intense than yesterday... carmelization of the fruits, I suppose .  Likewise, the cakes themselves tasted a bit sweeter, which I suppose reflects carmelization of the sugars in the batter. 

Either way, we've still got some left over, and I'm looking forward to another warmed-over-but-tasty breakfast tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment