July 22, 2011

Mexican Rice


Awhile back, I decided to make some steak tacos.   I wanted to have something else with them, so I decided to make some Mexican Rice.   In the past I've used a recipe from Cook's Country to good effect, but I decided to try my hand at making my own.    I was very pleased with the result, and will be using this as my default recipe from now on.

This rice is pretty fast and easy to make.   Saute the rice with onions and jalapenos, add some garlic, tomato paste and other aromatics and seasonings, then add some chicken broth and lime juice, bring it to a boil, cover and simmer for a few minutes, and you've got a wonderfully flavorful Mexican-style side dish.   This is as good as any version of Mexican Rice I've ever had, and better than all but a few.  If you try it out, I believe you'll come to the same conclusion, but as usual, I encourage you to try it out for yourself.   If you do, please let us know what you think.

Mexican Rice

2              tablespoons olive oil
2              cups long grain white rice
1              medium yellow onion, diced
2              large jalapeno peppers, minced
4              teaspoons minced garlic
2              teaspoons cumin
1/2           teaspoon table salt
1/4           cup tomato paste
1/4           cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
4              cups low-sodium chicken broth
1              lime, halved


Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.  When the oil is shimmering, add the rice, onion and jalapeno.   Cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender and the rice has browned (5-7 minutes).  Add garlic, cumin and salt and cook until the garlic is fragrant (about 30 seconds), then stir in the tomato paste and cilantro and cook another minute.


Add the chicken broth and squeeze in the juice from both halves of the lime.  Heat to boiling, then cover.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-17 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and keep the pot covered for about 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork, then serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment