July 20, 2011

Grape Sherbet


I came across the initial version of this recipe on Allrecipes.com.

The recipe was good, but very sweet.  I reduced the sugar and have been tinkering with the other ingredients almost every time I've made a batch.  It's not what I'd consider a finished project, but is still a wonderfully refreshing and different frozen dessert.  The problem I'm trying to overcome is the slow freeze time/ fast melt time.  Maybe there's too much grape juice?  I also think the color is much too subtle, and probably the next batch I make (should be soon) will have a drop or two of coloring to give a more purple tone.

If you have any suggestions on making the sherbet less melty, please send me a comment!


Here's what you need!



Grape Sherbet

This recipe makes 4 quarts.

1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups sugar
4 cups grape juice
6 tablespoons lemon juice
5 cups skim milk

1.  In a 4-quart ice cream freezer canister, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, cream, sugar, grape juice and lemon juice.  Add skim milk and stir well.

2.  Follow the instructions for freezing for your machine.  If you have the type of ice cream maker that stops when the ice cream is thick enough, be aware that no matter how much ice and salt you add outside the cream canister, it will never stop!  I let the machine process for 30-45 minutes.



Note:  Don't be surprised if the sherbet hasn't set up much when you take it out of the freezer container.  It will harden or "cure" in the freezer.  After it's completely frozen, the texture is great, and the grape juice makes it a very refreshing treat.

2 comments:

  1. I have several recipes that call for a small amount of unflavored gelatin. That might help the melting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea... I was just reading another recipe that said they used too much gelatin, and their ice cream refused to melt at all. I'm definitely going to try adding some!

    ReplyDelete