October 04, 2010

Saturday's Chili

I love chili.  I have a lot of good chili recipes, and I'm always on the lookout for new ones to try.  When planning this past weekend's cooking, I had some trouble deciding whether to make ham and bean soup or chili yesterday.  Finally, unable to decide, I went ahead and made both.

The photo below depicts our lunch on Saturday.  The large serving bowl at the upper left of the picture is full of my Ham and Bean Soup, which I've posted about already (http://jeffreyandjulicook.blogspot.com/2010/10/saturdays-soup.html).  The serving bowl on the lower right contains the subject of today's post:  my Bladk Bean and Beef Chili.  Also shown are small bowls containing sour cream and grated sharp cheddar cheese, which serve as toppings for the chili.

This is a recipe I've been making for years now.  Way back when, it started as a recipe I found somewhere (in a newspaper article, I think, or perhaps on the label of a can of black beans).  I've changed it over time into the current version, but even now I sometimes tinker around with it.  I've found that it's both a pretty basic recipe and quite a robust one, and as such, it holds up well to lots of tinkering and customization.  So, if you like some aspects of the recipe but not others, feel free to do what I do and change it to suit your tastes.



Jeffrey's Black Bean and Beef Chili

yield = 4-5 servings

2     tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2     pounds stew beef, or chuck beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2     cups minced onions
1     habanero pepper, seeded and diced fine
3     teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1     teaspoon dried oregano
1/2  teaspoon ground cumin
1/2  teaspoon salt
1     6-oz. can tomato paste
1     bottle dark beer
14   ounces beef broth
3     15-oz.cans black beans, drained and rinsed

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven, the other in a large skillet, both over medium-high heat.

When the oil is hot, add the onions to the Dutch oven.  Saute 5 minutes, stirring often, then add the garlic and habanero; stir and cook for another minute, then add and stir in the spices.  Cook for about 1 minute, then add the tomato paste; stir and cook for another minute.  Add the beer and beef broth and bring to a boil.

At the same time, add the beef to the skillet and cook it, stirring often.  Once it is browned, drain the beef.  Add the beef to the Dutch oven after the beer and broth have been added and come to a boil.  Boil 1 minute, then reduce heat and let simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Drain the beans, add them to the beef mixture in the Dutch oven, stir them in and cook for an additional 30 minutes.

This chili is good topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese.

2 comments:

  1. I love chili too - but that and scalloped potatoes used to be the bane of my existence, they never, ever came out right!

    I finally made a buffalo chicken chili that is a hit every time I make it - I think maybe the secret is grinding my own chicken breasts - the ground chicken at the store kinda looks creepers to me!

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2010/02/06/best-buffalo-chicken-chili/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Biz, I checked out your chili recipe and it looks amazing! What do you use to grind the chicken breasts?

    ReplyDelete