My favorite coffees are flavored, hands down. But I've found some unflavored coffee varieties I like, too. Unsurprisingly, most of them use light or medium roasted coffee beans. However, the Emeril and Paul Newman coffees both surprised me with how much I enjoyed them, since they're dark roasted. I doubt I'll ever be able to drink my coffee black like mom, but these were all great with the requisite Splenda and flavored creamers. So, in no particular order:
1. Green Mount Coffee Breakfast Blend - This is a light roast, and pairs very nicely with the French Vanilla and Hazelnut creamers I like.
2. Green Mountain Coffee Nantucket Blend - This is a medium roast, and the taste reminds me of the kind of coffee you'd get at a waffle-house-type restaurant. Very good.
3. Green Mountain Coffee Vermont Country Blend - Another medium roast coffee, very pleasant on a chilly morning.
4. Emeril's Big Easy Bold- A dark roast that I found surprisingly good. Perfect for mornings when I can't quite seem to wake up. This coffee is my favorite of the ones featured today.
5. Newman's Own Organics Special Blend - This is a blend of medium and dark roasted beans. It's also the only one of the five I've listed today that I can readily buy at the Des Moines grocery stores we sometimes shop at on the way home from work. The flavor is deep and bold, but never bitter.
I love coffee, I love tea.
I love the java jive and it loves me.
Coffee and tea and the java and me,
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup!