April 17, 2011

Chickpea Salad


The other night, when I made the Curried Turkey Sandwiches, I needed something to go along with the sandwiches.  It was a pretty nice day, so I thought something light would be appropriately spring-like.   I decided to toss together a salad based around chickpeas.


I'd seen a recipe along those lines in the recent past, but I couldn't find it when I was getting ready to make my Chickpea Salad, so I simply made up my own.   I later found the recipe I'd been thinking of, which was in the April 2011 Bon Appetit, and I'm rather amazed how much what I tossed together ended up being similar to the printed recipe.  Next time I might go ahead and try that other version, but I was pleased with how mine turned out.  The various flavors balanced nicely, with those of the chickpeas and the Parmesan pushing ahead of the others. 

This recipe makes quite a bit.  As a side dish, it would serve eight, but it's filling and satisfying enough to also make a main dish meal for four.


Chickpea Salad

yield = 4 servings (main dish) or 8 servings (side dish)

2                 cans (15 ounces) chickpeas
1/4              cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
2                 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2                 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3                 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2              teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1/2              teaspoon kosher salt
1/4              teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/3              cup (grated) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Drain and rinse chickpeas.  Combine with Italian parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, pepper, salt, red pepper flakes and Parmigiano-Reggiano.  Toss gently to blend the ingredients thoroughly and serve.


* * * * * * * * * * *

We'd like to remind our readers of our first-ever giveaway.   One reader informed us via email that she's tried to leave comments but been unable to do so, while others haven't had this issue.   According to Blogspot's help people, the issue might be a browser one.   Those with Firefox may need to allow third-party cookies long enough to post a comment.  If anyone else has problems posting a comment, please email us and let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment