April 12, 2011

Another Steak Seasoning Taste-Test

 

As I noted when discussing our recent taste test, comparing a commercial steak seasoning blend with one of my own, we'd initially planned to test a different commercial seasoning, but we didn't have enough of that on hand to conduct the test.   My blend beat out the commercial seasoning blend (Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning) quite easily, but we still wanted to know how it would stack up against the one we'd originally had in mind... so we bought some, and did a second taste test.


The commercial spice blend this time around is the Hy-Vee Blue Ribbon Chef Seasoning.  This has long been a favorite of Juli's.   I used to use it all the time, but once I got back into cooking in a big way, I preferred to experiment with other seasonings, and to make up my own blends. 


Once again we bought two 8-ounce Amana New York strip steaks, seasoned them on both sides - one with the Blue Ribbon blend, one with my own - let them rest for a bit, then pan-seared them.  This time around we served the steaks with a Caesar salad and Crab-Stuffed Baked Potatoes (recipe to follow in another post). 


My seasoning mix came out on top once again, though it was a lot closer this time.  One of the better features to the Hy-Vee blend was the presence of a bit of paprika.   I might have to try mixing a pinch of that in next time I make my own blend.


The recipe for my home-brew seasoning blend can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment