November 25, 2010

Pineapple Custard

Jeffrey had a hankering for the pineapple custard that I make every year at Christmas and Easter, so I obliged him by making it even though we'll be gone for a few days.  It's not really a custard, but it does have eggs in it.  It can be served warm or cold.  I like it warm best.  It's a great side dish for baked ham.


Here's how you can tell the recipe is a favorite- just look at my old cookbook! 


When I spot old cookbooks at yard sales that look interesting, I always page through to see if the previous owner left notes, or if there are pages with major spills.  A really spattered page shows that the recipe was loved and was made a LOT!  I like seeing what other people loved to cook, and often their notes are helpful.  I almost feel like I'm reading someone else's diary;  I've gotten a little peek at one part of their lives.


Pineapple Custard
2 tablespoons          cornstarch
1/2 cup                    sugar
2 beaten                  eggs
1/4 cup                    water
1 teaspoon               vanilla
1 20-ounce can        crushed pineapple, undrained
3 tablespoons           butter
dusting of                 ground cinnamon

In a glass 8 x 8 baking dish, mix together the cornstarch and sugar.  Add the eggs, water, and vanilla.  Add the crushed pineapple, juice and all, and stir well.  Slice the 3 tablespoons of butter into about 5 pats and dot the pineapple mixture with them- don't mix in.  Dust lightly with a ground cinnamon.



Bake uncovered for one hour at 350 degrees.

1 comment:

  1. I am making this tonight! We will see in 1 hour!

    ReplyDelete