November 11, 2010

Banana Bread

I grew up eating banana and pumpkin breads.  This is the version I've made ever since I learned how to cook.  It doesn't have any nuts in it, because I was kind of a picky kid and hated nuts. 

As an adult, I really like them in baked goods, but I thought I'd make the kid-version this week.  If you like, you can add 1/2 cup of either chopped walnuts or pecans after all the flour is mixed in. 

This is a great recipe to make when:  1.  You overbought bananas, and they've turned spotty and brown;  and 2.  You think you don't have time to bake.  There's a reason they're called Quick Breads!  Other than the oven time, this takes maybe 10 minutes tops to mix up.


Juli's Plain Jane Banana Bread
½ cup                    butter, softened
1 ½ cups               white sugar
2                          eggs
½ cup                    sour cream
1 teaspoon            baking soda
1 cup                     mashed ripe bananas
2 cups                   flour

1.  Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease a non-stick loaf pan.  I used butter-flavor cooking spray.

2.  Cream butter and sugar together.  Add eggs, sour cream, and baking soda and mix well.  Add mashed bananas and mix until smooth and silky.

3.  Add flour a little at a time and mix well.  Pour mixture into greased loaf pan and bake 55-60 minutes.  Test for doneness with a clean butter knife, right in the center of the loaf.  That's the part most likely to be undercooked.

Yep, the center fell a little bit.  Still tastes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment