June 06, 2011

Thrilling Grilling, including Summer Squash with Spring Herbs


I've done a lot of grilling over the past couple days.  Two batches of burgers, some incredible steaks, and more to come in the near future.   This is part of why I love this time of the year.


Juli had been asking for burgers for awhile, so I decided it was time to finally pull out my recipe for Cheesy Bacon Burgers and try it out on the grill.   Unsurprisingly, they turned out great.  As I'd predicted, they were even better grilled than they were pan-fried. 



Last week we got our first CSA delivery of the season.   It wasn't very large, but it's still fresh-from-the-farm vegetables, so there's nothing to complain about there.  This week's box included a couple of tomatoes, a single summer squash and a really tiny zucchini.  Since I was already going to be grilling, I decided to grill the squash and serve that up with the burgers.  We've got tons of chives and dill coming up, so I decided I'd feature those with the squash.  The squash also turned out excellent. 


The burgers and squash, served up with some baked beans and chips, made for a really satisfying summer meal.


While shopping for some other planned recipes, I saw some excellent Amana t-bone steaks and decided on the spot that the other stuff was going to have to wait, because I couldn't pass up those steaks.  I mixed up a batch of my home-brew steak seasoning, rubbed the seasoning mix onto both sides of the steaks and tossed them on the grill and cooked them for about 4 1/2 minutes on each side, which put them on the rare side of medium-rare. 


The steaks were incredible - melt-in-your-mouth, buttery-tender, full of beefy flavor - and the seasoning complemented the beefy flavor without competing with it.  


Those were some of the best steaks Juli or I have ever had, period.  I served them up with baked potatoes (topped with more of our chives, naturally) and a Caesar salad for yet another really great meal.



Summer Squash with Spring Herbs

Ingredients:
summer squash or zucchini
extra-virgin olive oil
freshly-ground black pepper
kosher salt
fresh, minced dill
fresh, finely minced chives

Instructions:
Slice the squash (or zucchini) lengthwise into 1/4-inch pieces.   Lightly brush both sides of the squash pieces with olive oil and sprinkle to taste with pepper and kosher salt, then sprinkle with ample portions of dill and chives.   Press the herbs onto the surface of the squash pieces, to help them adhere and stay in place during grilling.


Grill over medium-hot direct heat for 4 minutes, then flip and grill on the other side for 4 minutes.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment