February 14, 2011

The Long Cold Winter Blues

This time of year is plain depressing.  Right around Valentine's Day seems to be my breaking point, when I am fed up with winter and ready to move into the next season.  Alas, this is Iowa, and that's not very likely to be happening.

This slushy fruit concoction helps, though.  It's tart, and tangy, and practically made of liquid sunshine. 



This is one of those lost-chord recipes. I knew I wanted to make it, I knew I'd made it before - but do you think I could find the recipe anywhere?  Nope.  So I had to recreate it from memory.  Feel free to change up the fruits to suit your own preferences. 

My first attempt ended up too tart (almost an "Oops" post!), so we ate the fruit with Splenda on top this morning.  Jeffrey laughed at how I squinched my face up to eat the too-sour-for-me fruit!  Later, I thawed what was left, added quite a bit more Splenda to taste, and refroze.  I try not to get too worked up when things don't work out right the first time.  Most cooking mistakes are fixable, as long as you don't let the Perfectionist bug bite you.  As a musician, I know that most likely I'll have to practice to get something just right.  :)

This refreshing fruit cup is ideal for a brunch or bridal shower, or anytime you want breakfast to be special.  The sunshine orange juice- flavored fruit  is a great wake up for a lazy Saturday.  I made the recipe using diet soda and Splenda, because the fruit already has a lot of natural sugar, as does the juice.


Frozen Fruit Cup

2-4 bananas, mashed
1 12-ounce can frozen orange juice, thawed
1 12-ounce can frozen lemonade, thawed
1 cup diet OR regular lemon lime soda, such as Sierra Mist or 7-UP
1 cup Splenda OR white sugar
8 ounces strawberries
8 ounces pineapple
1/2 cantaloupe

1.  In a large mixing bowl, mash several bananas with a fork.  Pour in the thawed orange juice and lemonade concentrates and the soda pop.  Mix well.  Add Splenda or sugar.

2. Dice the strawberries, pineapple and cantaloupe into small pieces.  Add to the juice mixture.  Stir to combine well.   Taste, and if the mixture is too tart for your preference, add more Splenda or sugar in 1/4 cup increments until you are satisfied with the flavor.



3.  Ladle the fruit mixture into serving dishes.  Custard cups work great, or you can use clear disposable plastic cups. For longer freezer storage, use small lidded plastic containers that are freezer-safe.  Cover and freeze overnight.  Take out about an hour before serving.  The fruit should be a slushy consistency when you serve it.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea, thinking perfect for lunches, snack after school, these fruit cup slushies are going to be a hit, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete